« Recipes Home
A corn and crab meat chowder recipe
- 6 slices bacon (diced)
- ¼ stick butter
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound Maryland crab meat
- 1½ cup (about 3 ears) freshly cooked or frozen corn
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash garlic & herb seasoning
- 1½ pint half and half
- 1 15-ounce can cream-style corn
In a large skillet, cook bacon until done but not crisp. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel to absorb fat.
In a large pot, melt butter. Add celery and onion, cooking until partially cooked. Add diced potatoes, stirring frequently so the vegetables don't stick. Cook for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables until coated. Add chicken broth and stir until smooth. Add reserved bacon. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Stir in cream corn, whole kernel corn, parsley and chives. Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Gently stir in half-and-half and crab meat. Cook just until heated. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 1½ cup servings.