« Recipes Home
Chesapeake Crab Salad
This recipe won First Place in the 1971 National Hard Crab Derby in Crisfield, MD.
- 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- ¼ cup heavy cream, whipped
- ¼ cup chopped green onions & tops
- ¼ cup chili sauce
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 1 large head lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 pound backfin crab meat
- 2 hard cooked eggs cut in wedges
Combine mayonnaise, whipped cream, chili sauce, green pepper, green onion and lemon juice. Salt to taste. Chill. Makes about 2 cups of dressing.
Line 4 large plates with lettuce leaves. Shred rest of lettuce and arrange on leaves. Remove bits of shell from crab meat. Reserve a few large pieces for top of salad.
Leave remainder of meat in chunks and arrange atop lettuce. Circle with wedges of tomatoes and eggs. Sprinkle with salt.
Pour ¼ cup dressing over each salad. Sprinkle with paprika. Top with reserved crab meat.
Pass remaining dressing.