« Recipes Home
Crab Po' Boys
- Mustard Mayonnaise
- ½ c. minced onion
- ½ c. minced red bell pepper
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. lump crab meat, picked over
- ½ c. thinly sliced scallion greens
- 6 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 lightly beaten egg white
- 1 c. fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- cayenne to taste
- 4 five-inch lengths soft-crumb French bread, split and toasted lightly
- 4 iceburg lettuce leaves
- 2/3 c. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped sweet pickle
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
Make mustard mayonnaise by whisking together mayonnaise, sweet pickle, and Dijon mustard.
In a small heavy skillet, cook onion and bell pepper in butter over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
In a bowl, stir together onion mixture, crab meat, scallion greens, 6 Tbsp. mayonnaise, egg, 1 Tbsp. bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, and salt to taste.
Put remaining ½ c. bread crumbs in a small bowl. Divide the crab mixture into fourths and form each fourth into a soft 3-inch patty. Coat with bread crumbs. Wrap the patties in plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours.
In a 10-inch heavy deep skillet, heat ¼ inch vegetable oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and fry patties until golden and cooked through, about 2½ minutes on each side, transferring to paper towels to drain.
Spread bread with Mustard Mayonnaise. Arrange lettuce on bread and top with crab patties.