« Recipes Home
Deviled Dungeness Crab Casserole
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups half and half
- 2 egg yolks, beaten slightly
- dash of cayenne
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1¼ pounds backfin crab meat
- 1 cup cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Sauté onion and green pepper in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add flour. Mix until smooth. Stir in half and half gradually. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Add yolks to pan. Heat 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and add cayenne, salt, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and chives. Mix well. Stir in crab meat.
Transfer crab mixture to six buttered ramekins, custard cups or a 1-quart casserole. Combine crackers and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle on crab mixture. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown.