« Recipes Home
Meaty Crab-Tomato Soup
- 6 soup crabs, top shell removed, cleaned and broken into halves
- 1 large beef soup bone
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 32-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ small head cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen white corn kernels
- 2 large potatoes, boiled until nearly tender and chopped into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1 pound claw crabmeat
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pour 5 quarts of cold water into a large stockpot and place it over medium-high heat. Add the crab halves, the soup bone, celery, onion, bay leaf, crushed tomatoes, cabbage, seafood seasoning, and pepper. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and let the soup simmer for 1 hour.
Remove the soup bone and bay leaf and add the corn, potatoes, crabmeat, and salt. Cook for another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.