« Recipes Home
Stir-Fried Crabs Cantonese Style
- 8 live blue crabs
- 3 tablespoons liquid oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 to 8 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fermented salted black beans, mashed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 to 5 red peppers, to taste
Kill the crabs with an ice pick or by dropping in boiling water. Remove the legs, top shell, internal organs and discard. Break the remaining body in half. It is traditional to leave the backfin attached.
Heat a wok or skillet to high heat and add the oil. Stir-fry the crab body halves and claws for 4 to 5 minutes until claws are bright red. Add garlic, onions, ginger root, red peppers and black beans. Stir fry another 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and reduce heat. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Uncover and increase heat to reduce sauce. Stir frequently until done.
Serves 2 to 4.