« Recipes Home
Softshell Crabs with Tarragon Sauce
- 4 small or 3 large softshell crabs, cleaned
- flour for dredging
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallots
- ½ teaspoon vinegar
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 branches fresh tarragon, finely chopped (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 2 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped (pinch dried)
- 2 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped (1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 2 fresh oregano leaves, chopped (1/4 teaspoon dried)
Combine flour, salt and pepper and coat crabs with mixture, shaking off excess. Heat oil in a skillet, add crabs and saute until golden. Drain and keep warm.
Pour off oil from skillet. Add butter, shallots, vinegar and wine and beat with a wire whisk over low heat until mixture becomes creamy. Stir in tarragon, sage, basil and oregano. Pour sauce over crabs and serve immediately.