« Recipes Home
Crab Tomato and Bread Soup
- 4 1-inch thick slices French or Italian bread
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- ¾ cup green onions, chopped
- 5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- ¾ pound crab meat
- 1 cup clam juice or fish stock
- 1 cup chicken stock
- pinch of dried, crushed red pepper
- pinch of saffron threads
- pinch of salt
- Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut each slice of bread into 1 inch cubes. Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted. Brush with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic powder.
Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add green onions and saute until onions are soft. Add ½ of the tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, and 4 tablespoons basil. Cover pan and simmer about 10 minutes over low heat. Add remaining tomatoes and basil, crab meat, juice and/or stock, pepper, saffron threads, salt and bring to a simmer.
Place four cubes of bread in each serving bowl. Ladle hot soup over bread. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.