« Recipes Home
Agnes Scofield's N.E. Patriots Crabcakes
A lightly sautéd crabcake recipe
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 lb. lump crab meat carefully picked over for cartilage and shell
- ¼ to ½ cup Japanese Panko bread crumbs plus extra for coating
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- ¼ cup light oil like Canola or Safflower
Saute bell peppers in butter until they are soft, let cool.
Spread crab in a wide bowl and sprinkle with the bell peppers. Add beaten egg yolks and begin to mix in Panko crubs with a very light touch.
In a separate bowl beat egg whites until very stiff. Using your hands, gently fold the egg whites into the crab mixture. Form 1/8 cup of the mixture into a ball between the palms of your hands, pat very gently into Panko crumbs, flattening the balls into small disks.
Heat oil in a large skillet and add butter. After the butter stops bubbling, saute the cakes about two minutes a side until browned on each side.
Serve on dressed greens with wasabi mayonaise and a few teaspoons Balsamic reduction drizzled across the plate.
Serves four as a substantial first course, or, with good bread and sliced avocado this will do for a main course.