« Recipes Home
Popes Creek Deviled Crab
- 1 pound deluxe crab meat
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- ¼ pound butter
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
- 1 to 2 cups freshly made bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Combine crab meat with chopped eggs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix gently and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Meanwhile, melt butter, add onions and saute until softened but not browned, then stir in bread crumbs, setting aside ½ cup.
Add the bread crumbs mixture and baking powder to crab meat mixture and toss very lightly with the least possible mixing. Pile gently into crab shells. Top with remaining bread crumbs and bake in moderate oven until golden brown.