« Recipes Home
Bay Country Crab Soup
Few dishes establish a cook's reputation as well as a flavorful crab soup. Try this bountiful Bay rendition. It is truly a name maker.
- 1 pound beef shin, bone-in
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 1-pound can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 10-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 pound Maryland backfin crab meat
- ½ pound Maryland claw crab meat
Place the first eight ingredients in a large pan and simmer, covered, until meat is very tender, about 3 hours.
Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer, covered, until vegetables are done.
Makes about 5 quarts.